Facts about Strawberries
Here are some interesting facts about strawberries that you may have not known.
- Strawberries are from the same biological family as roses. There are actually a few fruits that are from rose family. These include strawberries, cherries, peaches and almonds.
- Strawberries are not berries. Berries have certain characteristics and strawberries do not share these.
- Those tiny bits on the outside of a strawberry are not seeds. The red fleshy part of the strawberry is the receptacle, which is what we eat. The tiny so called seeds are called achene, which is the actual fruit of the strawberry. Each of these dry little fruits has a tinier seed.
- Strawberries cannot be picked by a machine as they are to delict, so they are picked by hand.
- Each year per capita, Americans eat about 5 pounds of strawberries.
- The majority of strawberries that we eat have been genetically modified. This is to extend the strawberry season.
Strawberries are interesting, but they are also delicious. You are able to make some great deserts with strawberries or enjoy them simply with just sugar and cream. Here is a strawberry recipe to try.
Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- 3 pints of fresh strawberries
- ½ a cup of white sugar
- 2 ¼ cups of all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons of baking powder
- 2 tablespoons of white sugar
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 1/3 cup of shortening
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup of milk
- 2 cups of whipped heavy cream
- Slice the strawberries and toss them in the ½ cup of white sugar and put them to one side.
- Pre-heat the oven to 220 degrees Celsius. Grease and flour an 8 inch round cake pan.
- In a bowl mix the flour, 2 tablespoons of white sugar, the baking powder and salt. Using a pastry blender cut the shortening and adds to the mixture until it looks like coarse crumbs.
- In the centre make a well and add the beaten egg and milk. Stir together until just combined.
- Spread the batter in the pan and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Allow it to cool slightly.
- Once it has cooled cut the cake into two layers.
- Half of the strawberries should be placed on one layer and place the top layer of the cake on top. The rest of the strawberries should be put on top with the whipped cream.